DOLCE DIET LIFESTYLE:
How to Get Back to Pre-Marriage Weight
by Samantha Coogan, MS, RDN, LD
Life happens and sometimes our own health gets away from us. Looking to shed some unwanted pounds? Once the honeymoon phase is over, take back control of your health and get your sexy back!
Swap full- or low-fat items for nonfat
• i.e. plain, nonfat Greek yogurt and add “toppers” for extra flavor like frozen berries, honey and chia seeds).
Choose lean proteins
• Such as, chicken, turkey, buffalo, lean beef, eggs, and kangaroo (1g of fat and 25g of protein in a 3.5oz serving and tastes like ground beef).
Have smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day
• In other words, “graze” in order to keep your metabolism running at a higher rate. Just be sure to graze healthfully.
• This will also help keep blood sugar levels more stable.
Always choose whole grains
• Doing so reduces your sugar and refined starch intake, both of which spike blood sugar levels quickly.
• Ezekiel bread, brown rice pasta, quinoa and amaranth are excellent choices.
• Choose dark chocolate over milk chocolate, make your own trail mixes and frozen yogurts.
• Try 1 cup of plain, nonfat Greek yogurt, ¼ cup of frozen blueberries and drizzle of honey. Mix together until purple, and enjoy a decadent dessert with frozen bursts of freshness.
Start strength training
• Yes, bouts of cardio are great for your heart health and to lose some of that visceral fat, however, strength training is where you really start to burn more calories at rest.
• The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn at rest, or in other words, the higher your basal metabolic rate.
• Most people tend to think that cardio is what sheds the pounds, when in reality it is a sound mixture of the two. And no ladies, you won’t get “too big”.
• There are lots of different ways to strength train. One way is low reps, heavy weights, or high reps, light weights. It depends on your goals, but it’s never a bad idea to incorporate both. Remember, you want to mix up your routine anyway.
What did you think about this article?
Leave your comment below!