Organic Junk Food Is Still Junk Food
The term “organic” merely refers to what a food has or hasn’t been exposed to. The term “100% organic” means that the food wasn’t exposed to any herbicides, pesticides or hormones. For example, an organic apple was never treated with pesticides during harvest. Organic milk comes from cows who are not treated with hormones. When we promote going organic, it is merely for food safety reasons, to avoid potentially harmful chemicals and to reduce the intake of genetically-modified food products.
Here is a list of foods that are organic, but are STILL JUNK FOOD:
• You can find some without artificial flavors and colorings, but it still has SUGAR.
Macaroni & Cheese
• Some are made with organic cheese, but the fat content is still the same, and it’s still considered a processed food.
• The milk and cream came from cows that weren’t injected with hormones, but calorie for calorie, most organic brands are nearly identical to Breyer’s or Haagen-Dazs.
• Some brands do not use hydrogenated oils, which is great, but they were still fried, which means fat content remains nearly the same.
• Everything in moderation!
• This just means that the potatoes were cultivated and harvested without the use of herbicides, pesticides or soil that was contaminated with chemicals.
Before you rush out to buy everything organic, recognize why you are doing so. Who wouldn’t want to reduce the amounts of harmful chemicals we ingest? Just remember that organic junk food is, sadly, still junk food.